Tuesday 2 December 2014

Copper and knitting needles duck confit



Duck confit has been on the list of to dos for about a month. With a third duck in less than a week, we finally confit-ed and it was moist and succulent. We only taste tested it as the Larousse instructs us to keep it in a cool place for 5-6 months to achieve an authentic confit...I hope only to be able to tell the taste of authentic from that of off. For maximum authenticity, we even cooked it in a deep copper cauldron - yes, cauldron. Alas, my recovery is not quite there yet and I forgot how long I had it on the stove for and as I wasn't authentic enough to stick a knitting needle in to check for traces of blood, I hope it was for the recommended 2 hours. 


Be prepared with scented candles and anti grease spray for all that duck fat. It will all be worth it, duck confit is after all meatbutter, if there were such a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment