Sunday 7 December 2014

Allergy free soda bread, take one



Having lost the original recipe, I should really have taken the time to come up with a replacement, and tested and refined it, before elaborating and adding to it. However, rather impatiently I wanted to use the excess coconut milk collected from making my "hint of coconut ricotta cheese", so I just went ahead and "enriched" an untested recipe. But it doesn't just end there; gram flour has been sitting in my cupboard waiting to be moulded into something divine and so it was added to my as yet unproven (ha!) and loosely enriched bread recipe... For those familiar with gram flour (which is made from chickpeas), there is rather obviously a strong bean taste to it and might not suit all palettes in which case substitution with another type of flour (sorghum and even potato) should work - apparently the more varied the blend of flour, the better the bread.

The outcome? The bread was pretty good - as attested by other non immediate family Italians, so one would hope there is some truth there. I must have been craving carbs as I ate half the loaf on it's own. I would change the cooking time as I was busy blogging and left the bread there for a little too long but I didn't suffer for it as I quite prefer harder breads. I would also add a touch more lemon / vinegar to make the bread rise a little more but that would perhaps also impact cooking time. 



Looks a little third rock from the sun but looks can be deceiving..

My recipe:
1 Nutella cup Bob's mill gluten free flour
1 Nutella cup gram flour (or sorghum/potato)
1 tsp xanthum gum
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon juice
1 1/4 Nutella cup leftover coconut milk from the other recipe (or other free friendly milk, or combination of)
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 180degrees. Add lemon juice to milk and let sit for five minutes - dairy free buttermilk! Mix everything together in a bowl and dump onto a floured sheet of baking paper. If desired, shape into a dome and using a spatula, make a cross on the dome. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped - do check as I think different blends of flour and of milk deserves different cooking time. I always think bread for people like me benefit from a 5-10 minute longer cooking time, as it otherwise tastes raw...but let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment