Saturday 21 February 2015

Review of choccy bean cake alla Rachel Khoo




With all the vegan-ism rage especially in the dessert making jurisdiction at the moment, I could easily be mistaken as one of those "foodie-nistas" who readily embraces and undertakes a full head and total body immersion in the newest food trends. Well, foodienista I am not and (hope that I) never hope to be. My food style is only currently in vogue because of my body's irascible dislike of gluten, dairy, eggs, you get the drill...

So when Rachel Khoo published her "vegan valentine's cocoa bean cake", and as we were having a casual dinner party, I decided to give the recipe a try.

The verdict: non of the guests jumped up and down with delight even though they were polite about it, and the Italian said  whilst the "mousse" (the icing) was interesting, the cake itself was not one of the better ones I have made - at this point I had not divulged whose recipe it was. I found the cake a little dry but very promising, especially as breakfast the next day, with coffee drizzled over. With a few tweaks (sorry Rachel), it could be gorgeous! Choccy beans for breakfast, anyone?




No comments:

Post a Comment