Friday 20 February 2015

Lifestyle: to cream or not to cream



As half the world - the chineses in us - welcomes the year of the Ram, video calls are the preferred form of communication for those who are unable to cross continents home. I was very excited to call the family only for my dearest Mum to greet me with a shocked look followed by an oh-dear-your-skin-looks-terrible-and-your-mascara-is-running verbal onslaught. I had just woken up and, no, I was not wearing mascara... On a day where words are obliged to be sweet to symbolise an equally sweet forthcoming year, I am thankful that Mum let it lie soon after (a very haughty look from myself might have given it away).

But the countless times Mum has "politely" noted the condition of my skin - you look old - is rather beginning to concern me. In addition, I was recently asked about my "beauty" regime and truth be told, not for a lack of products do I go to bed most days without washing or moisturising, unless I am not completely exhausted whence which I might then slather on some cream. But I am told that it is the norm to cleanse, then tone, then apply serum, then cream - all products which I have - but who has the time to actually do it? I do look like a haggard spotty teenager with a very wrinkled neck, so I guess I should really make the time, what with it being the new year of the Ram et al.

Time to love ourselves so that others can love us too, and leave "polite" comments at the tip of the tongue. Oh, do try not to forget the SPF and the neck area; as my dad famously said: You can hide the lines on your face but never those on your neck. Cream it!



No comments:

Post a Comment